- Offers medication management
- Various price tiers to choose from
- Many options for therapy communication methods, including text, audio, and video messaging as well as live sessions
- Choice of several providers offered
- May take several days to be matched to a therapist
- Therapist bios not available on website
- Live video sessions not available on all tiers
- May be delays in responses to messages
Talkspace operates under the principle that your mental health needs shouldn’t be paused just because you don’t have instant access to a counselor at all times. That’s why the platform offers an unlimited messaging plan that allows users to message their counselors as things come up throughout the day instead of waiting for a live session.
Talkspace offers two session formats to choose from: messaging and live therapy.
With the messaging therapy plan, you will be matched with a therapist and provided with a private chatroom where you can send text, audio, and video messages. The room is open at all times, and you can send a message whenever you feel the need. Your therapist is required to monitor the room and to respond according to a set schedule five days a week, but they may not do so outside of these scheduled hours. If you message them outside of this schedule, you may have to wait up to 24 hours for a response. If you want real-time interaction with your therapist, you can schedule a live audio, video, or chat session for an additional $65 per session.
Talkspace isn’t transparent about how quickly its therapists respond to messages. It states that therapists are quick to respond but that messages sent outside of scheduled hours or late at night may not receive a response until the morning. Additionally, therapists are only required to respond five days a week, which may be a roadblock for someone hoping for a response to a message outside of their therapist’s schedule. Nonetheless, you can send as many messages as you like, even outside of your therapist’s working hours, which may be convenient for people who prefer to get things off their chest as they come up.
The live therapy subscription offers four 45-minute live sessions per month. It does not include messaging, but you can subscribe to a live plus messaging therapy plan for a combination of the features of both the messaging and live therapy plans.
The BBB gives Talkspace a B rating, yet customers who reviewed Talkspace on the BBB gave it 1.09 out of 5 stars.
Cost and Payment Options
Talkspace pricing varies, based on where you live and the availability of therapists who are licensed to practice in your state of residence. Here’s what you can expect to pay without insurance, depending on the subscription you choose:
- Messaging Therapy Text, video, and audio messaging starting at $79 per week, $316 per month; discounts for paying quarterly (10 percent) and biannually (20 percent)
- Live Therapy Four 45-minute live therapy sessions per month starting at $109 per week, $436 per month; discounts for paying quarterly (10 percent) and biannually (20 percent)
- Live Messaging Plus Therapy Text, video, and audio messaging plus four 45-minute live therapy sessions per month starting at $139 per week, $556 per month; discounts for paying quarterly (10 percent) and biannually (20 percent)
- Teen Therapy (Ages 13 to 17) Text, audio, and video messaging for $65 per week, $260 per month
- Psychiatrist Sessions $249 for the first consultation, $125 for follow-up visits
What Insurance Does Talkspace Accept?
Talkspace partners with a lengthy list of insurance providers, employer-based insurance plans, and employee assistance programs. Enter the name of your insurance company on the Talkspace partners page to see whether the company accepts your insurance.